Dancing Shrimp: Favorite Thai Recipes for Seafood
by Kasma Loha-unchit
Kasma's first cookbook was It Rains Fishes: Legends, Traditions and the Joys of Thai Cooking.
Dancing Shrimp, published by Simon & Schuster is a book of Kasma's favorite Thai Recipes for Seafood including both traditional Thai recipes and Kasma's original recipes. It contains a wealth of information on how to work with a variety of fish, shellfish and mollusks. One chapter contains detailed information about all of the ingredients used in the book – Kasma's husband thinks this chapter alone makes the book worth owning. As with her previous book, It Rains Fishes, the detailed cooking methods,instructions and recipes are woven into a tapestry of cultural imagery, folklore and personal impressions of the country where Kasma grew up.
Dancing Shrimp: Favorite Thai Recipes For Seafood by: Kasma Loha-unchit, Simon & Schuster, October 2000 (304 pages, $30.00), Hardcover, ISBN: 0-684-86272-7. Now out of print. (Try Amazon for a used copy.)
I have been a fan of Kasma Loha-unchit's since first reading her award-winning It Rains Fishes. In Dancing Shrimp, she once again gives us a jewel with enchanting prose, extensive information, and delightful recipes.
– Nina Simonds, author of A Spoonful of Ginger
See also Reviews of Dancing Shrimp.
Table of Contents
- Introduction – The Story of Dancing Shrimp
- Thai Cooking Basics (includes Cooking "to Taste")
- A Seafood Culture
- Preserved Foods and Flavoring Ingredients from the Sea – Sample selection.
- Ingredients and Tips for Selection and Preparation – Sample selection.
- Techniques and Equipment
- Fish (including recipes – see below)
- Crustaceans (including recipes – see below)
- Mollusks (including recipes – see below)
There are a total of 92 recipes.
Fish recipes include:
- Hot-and-Sour, Pan-fried Trout Soup with Roasted Chillies and Aromatic Herbs
- Lime-Cooked Halibut Dressed with Roasted Chilli Sauce, Toasted Coconut and Peanuts
- Braised Whole Tilapia with Ginger and Green Onions
- Crisped Catfish Salad with Sour Green Mango and Peanuts or Cashews
- Curried Mousse of Red Snapper in Banana Leaf Cups
- Charcoal-Grilled Spiced Fish in Banana Leaf Packets
- Garlic-Peppered Pompano
- Catfish Rounds Simmered in Turmeric-Flavored Coconut Sauce
- Garlic-Black Bean Pan-Fried Red Snapper
- Mesquite-Grilled-and-Smoked Fish with Piquant Sour Tamarind Sauce
- Pan-Fried Mackerel and Assorted Vegetables with Hot-and-Pungent Fermented Shrimp Dipping Sauce
Crustacean recipes include:
- Hot-and-Sour Shrimp Salad with Roasted Chilli Sauce, Lemon Grass and Mint
- Crispy Shrimp-and-Crab Toast with Sesame Seeds Served with Sweet-and-Sour Plum Sauce
- Dancing Shrimp
- Country-Style Hot-and-Sour Prawn Soup with Aromatic Herbs and Oyster Mushrooms
- Savory Shrimp Cakes Served with Sweet-and-Sour Cucumber Relish
- Charcoal-Grilled Jumbo Prawns or Lobster Tails Topped with Sour Tamarind Sauce
- Hot-and-Sour Lemon Grass Tiger Prawns
- Fried Crab Cakes
- Black-Peppered Crab with Roasted Spices
Mollusk and Mixed Seafood Dishes include:
- Clams Stir-fried with Roasted Chilli Sauce and Basil
- Crispy Shrimp-and-Crab-Stuffed Squid
- Stuffed Squid Soup with Napa Cabbage or Squash
- Crispy Shrimp-and-Crab-Stuffed Squid
- Sizzling Stir-fried Squid with Chillies and Fragrant Herbs
- Squid Sauted with Garlic and Lime
- Clam and Mussel Coconut Lime Soup with Oyster Mushrooms
- Shellfish Salad with Aromatic Thai Herbs, Crisped Shallots and Garlic, and Sweet-and-Sour Chilli Dressing
- Marinated Mesquite-Grilled Scallops Served with Sweet-and-Tangy Dipping Sauce
- Curried Mussels on the Half Shell with Flaked Crab
- Mixed Seafood Salad with Lemon Grass, Mint and Chilli-Lime Dressing
Dancing Shrimp is currently out of print. It originally was published in Fall 2000 by Simon & Schuster. The cover price was $30.00 (hardcover) plus state sales tax, where applicable. (Try Amazon for a used copy.)
Go on to read Reviews of Dancing Shrimp.