Class Formats & Descriptions
All classes are taught in a private home kitchen in Oakland, California, across the bay from San Francisco.
Click photo to see larger image and caption.
There are plenty of tasting exercises, experimentally learning to balance flavors. so you can cook great-tasting food with or without a recipe.
Series or Weeklong Class?
Both types of classes cover the same teachings, principles and recipes, although a few recipes are taught in one but not the other. Some factors to consider:
Series Class Descriptions
Four evening classes over a four-week period, such as four Tuesday evenings. All classes start at 6:00 p.m. – see class details for specifics.
Thai cooking is simple, fun and creative. The Beginning Series introduces and demystifies Thai ingredients, such as fresh herbs, and teaches the basic cooking techniques, such as stir-fry and steaming. We'll make everything from scratch with the freshest possible ingredients.
Learn to blend and balance the varied flavors to create a stimulating array of unique tastes. Harmonizing flavors will improve all of your cooking. Classes are a combination of demonstration and hands-on. The Beginning Series menus includes exquisite dishes from Hot and Sour Soup and curries to coconut desserts. First you cook, then you enjoy a Thai feast.
Check out our blogs on the Beginning classes:
Intermediate Series menus include Som Tam (Green Papaya Salad), Gkaeng Som (Vegetable and Seafood Chowder), Fried Fish with Chilli-Tamarind Sauce, Satay with Peanut Sauce, Fried Bananas and more.
Prerequisite: Open to students who have completed the Beginning Series or Weeklong Beginning/Intermediate.
Check out our blogs on the Intermediate classes:
There's an immense variety of dishes in the The Beginning and Intermediate Series are just the start. Thai restaurants in the U.S. serve perhaps 5% of Thai dishes found in Thailand. These series explore more old favorites plus some of the other 95% of available dishes. You'll learn new flavors and intricacies of Thai cuisine. These series are popular with students who have been to Thailand and crave the dishes they ate there.
Advanced Series menus, including Sweet and Savory Grilled Coconut-Rice Hotcakes (Kanom Krok), Spicy Northern Thai Pork Sausage (Sai Oa)), Stewed Beef Rice Noodles – "Boat Noodles" – (Gkuay Dtiow Reua), Lemon Grass Salad (Yam Dtakrai) and Southern-Style Hot Curry (Gkaeng Som). You will learn to prepare dishes seldom seen outside of Thailand. Classes are hands-on.
Currently there are seven menu Sets, from A to G. Menu Set H is currently under development.
See the many class photos on Picasa.
Weeklong Classes Descriptions
Spend a week with Kasma earning to cook Thai delicious Thai food. These "weeklong intensives" are concentrated learning with 8 or 9 recipes each day, from Monday through Friday. Classes start in the morning and run all day – see class details for specifics.
Be sure to see our Blog on the weeklong Thai cooking class.
The Beginning/Intermediate class is equivalent to the Beginning & Intermediate Series classes, with a few extras.
Classes are mostly hands-on. The group breaks into teams to do preparation on the dishes and comes together as a group to do the final cooking under Kasma's supervision. Kasma does most of the cooking the first day and also on some of the more difficult dishes on subsequent days.
Check out the Weeklong Beginning/Intermediate menus.
The advanced courses expand and deepen knowledge gained in the Weeklong Beginning/Intermediate. You'll again use ingredients such as lemon grass, galanga, kaffir lime peel and leaves, nahm prik pow (roasted chilli paste) and gkapi (shrimp paste). You'll refine the fundamental Thai cooking processes and techniques, such as the art of balancing and harmonizing flavors, curry making, sauce making, and wok, steamer and mortar and pestle techniques.
Like the Beginning/Intermediate, students will divide into teams to do the food preparation then come together as a group to watch the final cooking. Students do most of the cooking in this class although Kasma will do some of the difficult dishes herself.
As with all of Kasma's classes, enrollment is limited to thirteen participants, so that everyone can get hands-on experience and personal attention. Building on earlier classes, you will be introduced to a number of new ingredients and to new ways to innovatively work with ingredients to create new and exciting flavor combinations. The course is fully participatory in a casual atmosphere – you'll have fun time cooking with other food-loving people and take part in creating the scrumptious feast that we will all enjoy each day.
See the many class photos on Picasa.
Our blog on The Best Thai Food in America?